EXCHANGEe Volume 26, No. 1, 2023, pp. 23-28
Principles and Ways to Enhance Forest Carbon Sink Under the Background of Carbon Neutrality
Abstract: Reducing atmospheric CO2 content and mitigating climate warming has become a frontier hot issue of widespread concern in the scientific community and the international community. There are many options for achieving “carbon peak and carbon neutral”, among which forestry carbon sequestration is an important way to play a fundamental, strategic, and unique role in addressing global climate change. The enhancement of forestry carbon sink potential is a process of regulating the balance of net carbon budget in the forest ecosystem, mainly including the regulation principles of plant fixation of inorganic carbon (photosynthesis process, net productivity, etc.), turnover and fixation of soil organic carbon (decomposition of animal, plant and microbial residues and clay fixation), etc. The author expounds the main principles, methods or ways of improving forest carbon sink from the perspective of forest carbon sink. The main ways to enhance the potential of forest carbon sink include:
(1) The first way to increase forest carbon sink is to increase forest area.
(2) Strengthening the scientific management and fine management of forests to increase forest net productivity is the core of improving forest carbon sink.
(3) Prevent forest diseases and insect pests and forest fires to avoid reducing forest net productivity.
(4) Use mineral clay to protect organic carbon to increase forest soil carbon sink.
(5) Protect forest resources, always adhere to the concept of harmonious development between human beings and nature, and increase forest area through suitable sites, trees, and artificial afforestation.
Keywords: Carbon neutralization; forest carbon sink; carbon sequestration.